Summer is now upon us, which means it’s time for some “fun in the sun.” If you aren’t quite sure what to do with your kiddos this summer, then here’s a list to get you started:
- Spend time in the park. There are so many things that can be done in a park for fun. Bring a Frisbee, soccer ball, baseball and glove, football, or anything else that strikes your fancy. Parks are also great for picnics! Some parks even have grills and sitting areas that can be used for BBQing.
- Go fishing. Be sure to follow local ordinances (especially if a fishing license is required). Streams, lakes, ponds, and rivers all provide opportunities for catching fish. Ponds are also a great place to catch turtles, frogs, and other critters.
- Visit an amusement park. Most amusement parks offer great deals on summer passes, which can be purchased for very reasonable prices. Water Parks are popular too!
- Go swimming. What summer activity is more popular than swimming? Not many! Visit the local pool or head out to the beach f or some fun in the sun. Don’t forget the sunscreen!
- Get active! Roller-blade, walk, or bike around the neighborhood. Better yet, do so on your way to the local store for some ice cream or cold treats!
- Go bowling or roller-skating. Raining outside? These are the perfect activities for such days! Your kids will have a blast and still be active.
- Start a neighborhood game or activity. Gather the neighbor kids and start a game of “Kick the Can,” kickball, street hockey, or any other type of outside game. Be sure to respect the property of your neighbors and to keep the noise at a reasonable level.
- Attend a local event. Check the internet for local activities, events, and festivals. Perhaps there is a carnival, puppet show, parade, or outdoor concert going on over the weekend.
- Have a BBQ. Invite the neighbors over (or a few friends) and grill up some burgers and brats! Don’t forget the watermelon, potato salad, and baked beans!